Monday, August 15, 2011

West Michigan man chronicles adult stem cell procedure

In her health column, Living with Cancer, Sue Schroder shares Tom Felten's reports on an adult stem cell transplant to treat his non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
Next: Apheresis. This involved lying still in a hospital bed for several hours with a needle in one arm (sending blood into the machine) and a needle in the other (allowing the blood to return) minus the collected stem cells. I needed two days of collection. By God's grace, we got just enough.

The cells were carefully "cleaned," removing cancer cells, cryogenically frozen and stored.....

After a "day of rest," I received my stem cells back. Intravenously, I was given eight bags of stem cells on the 23rd and 4.5 more bags on the 24th (my big 5-0 birthday!). Due to some serious volume, my transplant came in two phases instead of one.

The process of receiving the cells back is simple. A cart holding what looks like a small garbage can and a hot dog cooker is wheeled in. The "can" holds the bags of frozen stem cells, while the "cooker" thaws them to the right temperature for re-entry into your body. Some patients (become nauseated), but I felt fine.

FULL STORY


To learn more about adult stem cell research and life-affirming stem cell treatments, visit www.stemcellresearchcures.com.