Monday, July 15, 2013

Is killing an unborn girl a "woman's rights issue?"

In a blog post for the Detroit News, Jason Vines describes a recent encounter with someone from Planned Parenthood in Washington, D.C. 

“Sir,” one pink lady cheerfully called to me, “can I talk to you a minute about women’s rights?”
I normally don’t engage, but, with sweat dripping down the back of my neck on a hot day, I decided to go for it.  “OK,” I said, “If I can ask you a question first.” Sure, she said.

“You work for Planned Parenthood, right?” said I (I’m note a mind-reader, her pink shirt had the organization emblazoned on the front). “Can we talk about the rights of the little unborn girl – a woman – in her mother’s womb?”

Her smile instantly vanished as she struggled to come up with a response. She finally resorted to the “right to safe and affordable abortions” as a “woman’s health issue.”

“Really?” I countered. “Isn’t killing an unborn girl in the womb of an otherwise healthy woman the ultimate ‘woman’s health issue’?”

By now, the cheery young lady was ticked and her clichés continued, only this time with a touch of venom.
“Listen, a man shouldn’t be able to determine what a woman can or can’t do with her body,” she replied.
“So why then did you ask me if I wanted to talk about women’s rights?” I said.

FULL STORY