Monday, May 12, 2014

Temple University football player shares how he was almost aborted

Khalif Hebrin is wide receiver/kick returner for the Temple University football team.  The Philadelphia Daily News recently shared his personal story of almost being aborted and being saved by Lynda Jones, who adopted him. 

In September 1994, Jones received a long-distance call from a cousin she'd never been close with, Denise Herbin (pronounced UR-bin). The voice sounded frantic, saying she was going to have an abortion. So Jones immediately drove from North Jersey to South Carolina.........

"I'm not supposed to be here. My mom was going to get an abortion. I've come to understand just how fragile life is, how important the small things are. Just being able to wake up. I know in the back of my mind, a lot of people didn't wake up today. Or they might not get to sleep tonight."

Every November, Khalif celebrates his biological mother’s birthday even though he hasn’t seen her in 15 years. 

"People wonder why I would do that for someone who didn't want me," Khalif explained. "My mom encouraged that when I was a kid. [She] could have got an abortion. She was smart enough to say, 'I'm going to give him to the right person.' "

FULL STORY