It's thought that there is currently a 5 to 4 split on the Court in favor of upholding Roe v. Wade and Doe v. Bolton. Given the ages of the justices it's possible the next vacancy could spell the end of Roe v. Wade and Doe v. Bolton. A reversal would end abortion-on-demand through all nine months of pregnancy and allow states and voters to participate in the democratic process once again on the issue of abortion.
Prolife people are well aware of the poor legal reasoning the Court used in 1973 to dictate a radical abortion policy to all 50 states. It's important that the American people understand that too, but we must never lose sight of the human cost of Roe v. Wade and Doe v. Bolton.
Since those two cases were dictated by the Court in 1973 our best estimate is 56 million abortions have taken place since then. 56 million.
How can we quantify such an extreme loss of life?
- It's equivalent to erasing 25 states.
- Observing a 15-second moment of silence for each child killed by abortion since Roe and Doe would last 26 years.
- Arlington National Cemetery is 624 acres and contains about 400,000 graves; to bury the unborn lost to abortion would require a cemetery that takes up 136 square miles, more than twice the size of Washington, D.C.
- We lose more children to abortion in a single year than we've lost American soldiers to combat from 1775-2017.
- Abortion takes more lives every year than cancer or heart disease.
- For the Black community abortion has taken more lives than EVERY single cause of death combined since 1973.
- We've erased $3 trillion in annual productivity from our economy.
Roe v. Wade and Doe v. Bolton aren't just legal injustices. They are more than the grave personal injustices to the unborn children whose lives have been taken so brutally. They are an ongoing national disaster of incomparable proportions.
For prolife people, the next U.S. Supreme Court nomination is not just a fight to restore basic fairness to the court and our democratic process. It's a choice between an opportunity to save a countless number of lives or allowing another generation or two to be decimated.