Wednesday, January 25, 2017

A woman responds to the Women's March

Thank you to Kay Scott for sharing her writing with us

The following is a young child’s response to protest signs at the Women’s March on Washington, January 21, 2017. The signs were real. The child is imaginary, yet represents millions. For anyone who has had an abortion, may your heart be free and whole. This is not an indictment of you. Rather, it is a look to the future. The hidden voice speaks: "Listen, for I have worthy things to say."

WE WILL NOT BE SILENCED
I am the human growing inside you. Please don’t silence me.

SAFE AND LEGAL ABORTIONS
I am the human growing inside you. Abortion is not safe for me.

MAKE AMERICA KIND AGAIN
I am the human growing inside you. Will you be kind to me?

MY BODY, MY CHOICE
I am the human growing inside you. With my own arms and my own legs, My own head and heart, Your body is not my body. And, my body is not yours.

WE WILL FIGHT TO PROTECT REPRODUCTIVE RIGHTS
I am the human growing inside you. Will you protect my right to reproduce someday?

PROTECT FUNDAMENTAL HUMAN RIGHTS
I am the human growing inside you. Isn’t my right to live as basic as yours? And, as fundamental as anyone else’s?

 LOVE AND ACCEPT US ALL
I am the human growing inside you. Accept us all, except for me?

WHERE IS YOUR COMPASSION?
I am the human growing inside you. Do you have compassion for me?