Monday, February 22, 2010

Adult stem cells save the leg of a Michigan woman

On February 20, 2010, the Grand Rapids Press featured an adult stem cell success story on their front page. The story tells how Helen Thomas, an 80-year-old woman from Hastings, avoided having her leg amputated when her own stem cells were injected into her leg and caused new blood vessels to grow. Thomas suffered from peripheral arterial disease (PAD) which causes pain in the extremities and in severe cases can lead to amputation.

"It was a miracle," she said this week. "I'm walking, and I wouldn't be walking without the stem cells. I have my leg."

Therein lies the hope for millions of people.

Thomas suffered peripheral arterial disease, or PAD, which affects the lower limbs of 10 million Americans. Untreated, it can lead to strokes, amputations and death.

"They saved my life. I told them they saved my life," Thomas said.

She was part of the Ohio study conducted by Franz, Dr. Kaushal Shah and Dr. Thomas Hankins. Of 16 patients who underwent the procedure, 13 avoided major amputations, the researchers said.


FULL STORY