Monday, November 15, 2010

President Bush describes how seeing his miscarried sibling affected his prolife beliefs

In his new book, Decision Points, President George W. Bush describes a time when as a teenager he drove his mother to hospital after she had miscarried. During the story, he notes that he recognized the remains of his sibling as a human life. The experience also stregthened his prolife beliefs.
"One day, shortly after I learned to drive and while dad was away on a business trip, Mother called me in to her bedroom," he writes. "There was an urgency in her voice. She told me to drive her to the hospital immediately. I asked her what was wrong, She said she would tell me in the car.

"As I pulled out of the driveway, she told me to drive steadily and avoid bumps. Then she said she had just had a miscarriage. I was taken aback. This was a subject I never expected to be discussing with Mother. I also never expected to see the remains of a fetus, which she had saved in a jar to bring to the hospital. I remember thinking: There was a human life, a little brother or sister.


FULL STORY