Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Daily Iowan shares adoption story

The University of Iowa school newspaper has an article featuring one of their photographers sharing her journal entries about her experience with an unplanned pregnancy and an open adoption.

Dec. 6, 2012
My beautiful baby boy Leo was born this morning. The hospital admitted me around 6 p.m. After the epidural, it was a waiting game. I didn’t sleep. He lay down on the couch by my bed and fell asleep. Kristen and Brian got to the hospital at 2 a.m. I said I wanted to meet them right before I started pushing. I wanted to meet my son’s parents before I gave them this amazing gift. I started wondering what they were like, what it was going to be like meeting them. I thought about what it was going to be like hearing my son cry for the first time. What would it be like to not have him anymore? The moment I saw her, then him, enter my hospital room, a big smile came across my face. They both rushed over and each gave me a hug. Soon they left, and it was time to push.

I held him today. I was so scared to hold him. I have held so many babies before, but holding my baby was different. I was amazed that just a few hours ago this being was inside of me. Even living through the process of giving birth, I still couldn’t understand how he was finally here. I just stared at him thinking, “This is my baby.” 

Dec. 8, 2012
The first night, we all had dinner together in Kristen’s and Brian’s hospital room. They were given their own room so they could stay in the hospital with Leo. We spent all night getting to know each other. I hadn’t spoken to them directly since the interview a few months ago. I feel comfortable with them. I don’t think any of us are nervous around each other. We all get along so well, it’s like spending time with friends while taking turns holding the most precious child in the world. All of us standing around with nothing but endless love to give to our son. It’s the most beautiful thing I’ve ever been a part of. Kristen and Brian love Leo so much. Brian holds Leo every second he can; it’s precious.