Monday, July 15, 2013

Is killing an unborn girl a "woman's rights issue?"

In a blog post for the Detroit News, Jason Vines describes a recent encounter with someone from Planned Parenthood in Washington, D.C. 

“Sir,” one pink lady cheerfully called to me, “can I talk to you a minute about women’s rights?”
I normally don’t engage, but, with sweat dripping down the back of my neck on a hot day, I decided to go for it.  “OK,” I said, “If I can ask you a question first.” Sure, she said.

“You work for Planned Parenthood, right?” said I (I’m note a mind-reader, her pink shirt had the organization emblazoned on the front). “Can we talk about the rights of the little unborn girl – a woman – in her mother’s womb?”

Her smile instantly vanished as she struggled to come up with a response. She finally resorted to the “right to safe and affordable abortions” as a “woman’s health issue.”

“Really?” I countered. “Isn’t killing an unborn girl in the womb of an otherwise healthy woman the ultimate ‘woman’s health issue’?”

By now, the cheery young lady was ticked and her clich├ęs continued, only this time with a touch of venom.
“Listen, a man shouldn’t be able to determine what a woman can or can’t do with her body,” she replied.
“So why then did you ask me if I wanted to talk about women’s rights?” I said.

FULL STORY